This course is a mandate of state law for license renewal in Texas. It is designed to keep Texas optometrists up to date on issues related to professional ethics and regulatory issues. The 2019 course provides information on topics specific to the legal and ethical practice of optometry including compliance with specific State laws and compliance with regulations regarding judicious prescribing.
- Participants will gain a knowledge of how and why the Texas Optometry Board conducts random inspections of licensee’s offices
- Participants will gain knowledge of the Controlled Substances scheduling system
- Participants will gain knowledge of which drugs optometry is authorized to use are included in the Controlled Substances schedules
- Participants will gain knowledge of how to participate in the Texas Prescription Monitoring Program
- Participants will gain knowledge regarding legal and ethical issue surrounding treating and prescribing medications for themselves, family and friends
Joe DeLoach , O.D., FAAO
From: University of Houston College of Optometry
Joe DeLoach, OD completed undergraduate training at Texas A&M University where he was designated an Academic Fellow in Biochemical Genetics. He received his Doctorate of Optometry from the University of Houston College of Optometry in 1981. Dr. DeLoach currently serves as Clinical Director of the Cedar Springs Eye Clinic, an indigent care clinic in Dallas that serves as a primary training facility for UHCO externs and residents. Prior to joining the clinical staff at UHCO, Dr. DeLoach was Chief of Staff of Plano Eye Associates. He also served as Medical Director of the EyeCare and Surgery Center of North Texas for almost two decades. Dr. DeLoach is a Past President of the Texas Optometric Association where he was named Young Optometrist of the Year and Optometrist of the Year in addition to fourteen President's Awards and the Distinguished Service Award. He served as Chairman of the Legal and Legislative Committee twice. UHCO awarded him the Distinguished Alumni Award, William B. Pittman Award, and Educator of the Year Award. Dr. DeLoach also served on the Texas Optometry Board and received the Admiral of the Texas Navy for his service to the State. He lectures extensively on topics related to glaucoma and ocular disease management.